Levels of Effort
What are the Levels of Effort?
Each of the Levels of Effort described below represent a starting point in developing your own custom NCCS implementation. We understand that every institution has different needs when they come to the study, and we provide a wide range of options to meet those needs. Many institutions participate in one of the three Tiers as listed, however, many also adjust them considerably.
We are here to assist you in designing the best NCCS implementation to meet your needs.
Tier 1: Campus Climate Pro
Designed to achieve 15-30% response rate following national trends.
The Tier 1 Campus Climate Pro service is a significant step up from a “do it yourself” approach. This service level utilizes a questionnaire that was designed collaboratively by a team of topical experts,
survey experts and higher education administrators. The scientifically rigorous instrument design and
study implementation produces results that institutions can use to assess Title IX policies and
Tier 1 Services Included:
- Web-based survey customization and programming
- Simple random sample of 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students
- Email invitation & four reminder emails (sent only to nonresponders)
- A random drawing incentive to win one of ten $100 VISA/MC/Amex gift cards
- Up to five custom questions designed by your institution and added to the end of the questionnaire
- Support from a dedicated study coordinator
- Assistance with navigating IRB requirements
- A marketing toolkit to help promote the survey and a suggested public relations protocol including
example text for announcements, email distributions, etc.
- An analytic case level dataset (de-identified) including survey responses received from students at
your school (NOTE: Schools may opt to not receive their case level dataset if they prefer.)
- A summary report including:
- A methodological overview
- Response distributions for all items in the survey for your institution
- Where possible (with sufficient schools), we will offer the ability to compare against peer
institutions based on Carnegie classification and/or other institutional categories
- Limited advanced analytics for key analyses
Add-on Services Available (may include additional fees):
- Customized stratified sampling to help meet local analytic goals
- Local incentives that go above and beyond the gift card sweepstakes drawing
- Additional sample above and beyond the standard (If you would like to offer an anonymous version of
the survey to all students above and beyond the scientific sample, this can be done!)
- Nonresponse weighting (available if institution is able to provide case level data on key demographics
for all students in the selected sample, and provided the NCCS determines that such weights are
- Option to include comparison samples
The goal of the Tier 1 Campus Climate Pro is to match or exceed the current standard response rates for
similarly designed college student surveys with response rates around 15-30%. However, no guarantee can be
made to meet any specific response rate.
Tier 2: Campus Climate Pro Methods
Designed to achieve approximately
10-20% higher response rate over Tier 1.
The Tier 2 Campus Climate Pro Methods service includes all features of the Tier 1 Pro service, but
adds significant enhancements designed to increase study participation. The Tier 2 design
incorporates additional respondent incentives and nonresponse conversion; because the expected
response is 40-50%, the sample size in Tier 2 is set to 3,000 undergraduate and graduate students.
Tier 2 Service Includes:
- All Tier 1 services
- A U.S. mail pre-notification letter sent to each invited student (institutions provide addresses)
- A $10 post-paid cash incentive paid to each student who completes the survey and elects to receive
the incentive by providing an accurate mailing address
- Nonresponse analysis (if applicable)
Tier 3: Campus Climate Pro Comprehensive
When implemented at the
University of Michigan, this design
achieved a 67% response rate.
The Tier 3 Campus Climate Pro Comprehensive service includes all features of the Tier 1 & 2 services,
but adds significant enhancements designed to further reduce nonresponse bias. The Tier 3 design
increases incentives and adds nonresponse conversion targeted towards groups who traditionally
underreport; because the expected response is between 50-70%, the sample size in Tier 3 is set to
2,000 undergraduate and graduate students.
Tier 3 Service Includes:
- All Tier 1 & 2 services
- An increase from $10 to $15 post-paid cash incentive
- A responsive design with at least two phases designed to maximize quality throughout the data
collection component of the study. Specifically, most commonly, a Phase 2 data collection will include
telephone and face-to-face contacts using an interviewer-assisted data collection strategy with
professional trained interviewers.